News - click on a headline to find out more
£50,000 Grant from Sport England’s Inspired Facilities Fund!
More momentous news for Ulley Sailing Club: We have been awarded a grant of £50,000 from Sport England’s Inspired Facilities Fund!
The grant will be used to modify and refurbish the interior of the whole of the clubhouse and visitor centre. This work will provide significantly improved facilities (a) for Ulley Sailing Club and Wickersley's Activity Centre, (b) for Friends of Ulley Country Park and (c) for people who hire the multi-purpose room.
For both Ulley Sailing Club and Wickersley School’s Activity Centre:
1) The provision of a dedicated disabled changing room. (We are currently speaking to the RYA with a view to Ulley SC becoming a Sailability Centre to help people with disabilities to enjoy the sport of sailing.) The disabled changing room will also double as an instructor changing room so will be very useful for Wickersley School’s Activity Centre.
2) There will also be some increase in the usable space in the Ladies and Gents Changing Rooms.
For Ulley Sailing Club only:
3) Extra space in the clubroom to provide a “dry area”.
4) A sorely needed storage room for the increasing documentation needed for our operations as a RYA Recognised Training Centre and for general Club documentation and small equipment.
For Friends of Ulley Country Park:
5) An extension to their kitchen, providing a large serving hatch for the sale of soup and hot drinks on Cafe Days. This will be far more convenient than the current arrangement because it will enable them to cease the very dangerous practice of transporting scalding-hot liquids past the queue of customers.
6) An increase in the space available for their Cafe Day operations, achieved by removing the wall between the large multi-purpose room and the front office and replacing it with a fold-away wall. This will also mean that their non-food sales are not hidden away in the entrance, but are on view to all customers at all times so greater sales should result.
For People who hire the multi-purpose room:
The larger kitchen and the serving hatch, combined with the flexibility of changing the size of the room by means of the fold-away wall, will make the room suitable for a much greater range of activities – family parties, socials, etc – and should therefore increase the number of bookings, thus also providing additional revenue for RMBC.
EVERYBODY GAINS !!!
Reports in the Advertiser and the Rotherham Record
Same article (based on RYA press release about Club of the Year), same photo, different headlines!
Advertiser - 14 March 2014: CLICK HERE
Rotherham Record - 19 March 2014: CLICK HERE
ULLEY SC IS A FINALIST FOR THE RYA'S
"2014 CLUB OF THE YEAR"!
Last year, Ulley Sailing Club received a Certificate of Commendation from the RYA for reaching the last eight in the competition to become the "Club of the Year". This year we have gone one better and we are one of the five finalist club (RYA Announcement).
Initially, clubs had to submit an "Expression of Interest" form and a short-list was then asked to prepare 10 Powerpoint slides presenting their case. To see these slides, CLICK HERE.
Article in Rotherham Advertiser 28 February: CLICK HERE
Our Commodore says:
We are all thrilled that Ulley Sailing Club has been selected as a finalist for the RYA Club of the Year 2014 award. The winner will be announced at the Dinghy Show at Alexandra Palace on 1st March. Many of our members will be there to cheer us on.
The club has worked unstintingly to rebuild itself since the disastrous flooding in 2007, renewing equipment, facilities and club boats and attracting many new members through Open Day events and sailing taster sessions.
Last year we were awarded RYA Recognised Training Centre status – a magnificent achievement.
Being selected as a finalist for the Club of the Year award is the icing on the cake for us.
Many thanks to our management committee and to the many other members who have worked so hard in bringing the club to its proud position today.
Article in AroundTown magazine, July/August 2013 edition
JAMIE MAWSON REGAINS RS600 NATIONAL TITLE (September 2012)
Reports from The Star (Sheffield ) 07/05/2012
Open Day Report PDF
40th Anniversary PDF
Scans of the actual articles: Open Day Report 40th Anniversary Feature
OPEN DAY ARTICLE IN ROTHERHAM ADVERTISER 27/04/2012
PLUM PUDDING RACE, BOXING DAY 2011
Thanks to everybody who made this a great success - 18 boats started (and 12 finished)!
PRESS RELEASE PHOTOS ROTHERHAM ADVERTISER YACHTS & YACHTING
BRITAIN'S LASER GOLD MEDALLIST TAKES THE LONG VIEW
COMMODORE RECEIVES RYA NATIONAL AWARD FOR 'OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION'
MAX NICHOLSON COMPLETES THE TREBLE BY WINNING YHYSA AUTUMN SERIES!
PAUL GOODISON TO DEFEND OLYMPIC CROWN IN 2012
MATT AND TIM SAIL 24 HOURS NON-STOP AT SOUTHPORT 2011
Matt Velamail and Tim Brownell raise over £9000 for Brain Tumour Research and also take the prize for top Yorkshire boat.
MAX NICHOLSON WINS YORKSHIRE ROSE BOWL AT NSSA REGATTA 2011
MAX NICHOLSON WINS YHYSA SPRING TRAVELLERS SERIES 2011
OPEN WEEKEND IS GREAT SUCCESS - May 1st & 2nd 2011
WORKING PARTIES INSTALL NEW FENCE AROUND BOAT PARK - March 2011
DAVE WHITE ALSO WINS AT SOUTH YORKSHIRE SPORTING AWARDS
THE RESERVOIR IS FULL ! 13th December 2010
DO YOU WANT ICE WITH THAT?
DAVE WHITE WINS ROTHERHAM SPORTS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD 2010
SOUTHPORT 24 HOUR RACE - September 2010
It takes more than a broken boat to stop Team Ulley from sailing!
GALA RE-OPENING DAY - August 29th 2010 - AND RACING RESUMES
LOOKING MORE LIKE A SAILING CLUB! 14 August 2010
Take the Ulley Survey and tell the committee what you want from the club, use the link below to leave your input.
PAUL GOODISON NAMED ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
SOUTHPORT 2009 - TEAM ULLEY GETS SILVERWARE!
PAUL GOODISON ADDS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TO LONG LIST OF TITLES
NSSA REGATTA 2009 - BRIDLINGTON